Even though it is something most everybody does this time of year, I usually skip the tradition of giving thanks. Not that I’m ungrateful for the blessings in my life, just that it’s not something I think to do as I’m always caught up in the other traditions of the day: making fun of the lip-synching during the Macy’s parade, catching up with family that I haven’t seen since the previous year, anticipating gorging on turkey and assorted side dishes, gorging on turkey and assorted side dishes, regretting gorging on turkey and assorted side dishes and so on.
This year, however, I would like to take a bit of time to give thanks to all of the great things that have happened over this past year. Why this year? Why do I take the time now when I didn’t bother in the past? The last 365 days have been very good to me. Probably one of the best years I can remember to be honest and I would regret having it pass by without some acknowledgement.
So without further adieu, here is my list of things that have made this past year wonderful and for which I am truly grateful (in no particular order):
- My daughter saying “I love you” for the first time.
- My wife and I celebrating a decade of marriage.
- With great and brilliant friends, taking a simple meetup and turning it into something much bigger.
- Collaborating on some amazing projects and building up my freelance business.
- Finally getting a chance to go to An Event Apart at which I spent time with good friends and made a few new ones along the way.
- Finally changing jobs after nearly ten years.
- For all of the support from my family with all of my endeavors over the year.
- Feeling hopeful about the direction of my country for the first time in ages.
- Finally getting back to world of Macs with my first purchase of one since the mid 90’s.
Obviously this list isn’t exhaustive, and I’m positive I’ve left out some items that should have been mentioned, but with a belly full of turkey that is best I could come up with at the moment.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.